Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum
Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum is compact and lightweight handheld vacuum cleaner suitable for cleaning smaller messes and in the emergencies.
Thanks to its affordable price and good performances, it is often used as car vacuum cleaner, especially by people with pets and kids.
Published: July 30, 2020.
Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 Features and Specifications
Weighing around 2.11 pounds (~0.96 kg) and being just (H x W x D) 7.5 x 13.5 x 5.5 inches (19 x 34.3 x 14 cm) in size, Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 is lightweight and compact unit, being able to reach and clean various types of dirt and surfaces, not easily cleaned by large, full-size vacuums.
Unit is powered with 3 cells, 10.8V lithium ion battery, rated at 1.5 Ah. Battery is strong enough to provide ~15 minutes of continuous operation at maximum power of 16 Air Watts. Due to power fade-free feature of lithium ion battery, power decreases abruptly as the battery is discharged.
Note: unit features simple On/Off switch with single On position - unit operates at full throttle all the time.
Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 comes with wall mount and jack plug charger - when being placed at the wall mount, battery is not charged until the jack plug is manually plugged into the unit.
Also, unit can be conveniently placed vertically or horizontally on any flat surface and be used at the moment notice.
When the battery is fully discharged, it takes around 10 hours to fully charge it again. Unit doesn't feature any battery charge indicator, but thanks to the smart charger, Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 can be connected to the OEM charger indefinitely.
Since lithium ion batteries doesn't feature memory effect like NiMH and especially NiCd batteries, unit can be connected to the charger after each use.
Also, self-discharge battery rate is very low, so if the battery is full and charger disconnected, the battery remains charged for a long period of time (weeks and months, depending on the battery condition, storage temperature etc.).
Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 is designed for dry dirt only - moist dirt and liquids should not be vacuumed using this unit, as such dirt can damage the unit.
Main cleaning nozzle is wide, allowing even larger debris to be picked with ease. For additional cleaning, unit comes with:
- Dusting Brush Tool: designed for dusting various surfaces, including sensitive ones, like car dashboards, leather (gently!), keyboards, bookshelves and similar. As the brush glides over the surfaces, brush bristles agitate the surface dirt, which is then sucked into the unit by the air stream.
- Crevice Tool: designed for cleaning narrow and tight gaps and crevices (hence the name), like between the seats, in the corners, along the edges and similar.
Dirt bowl is large for the unit of this size. Its capacity is 31.8 oz (~0.94 liters) and it allows the user to vacuum plenty of dirt, without interruptions.
Air filtration is good, but it is not true HEPA air filtration. Air filtration is achieved combining cyclonic action and washable cloth air filter.
Operation of the vacuum cleaner depends on the cloth air filter - as the filter gets dirtier and dirtier, suction drops. Cloth air filter can and should be washed occasionally using warm (not hot!) water and some gentle soap. After it is thoroughly dried, it can be reassembled into the unit.
Note: Never operate the unit without the filter or with wet/moist filter, as it can damage the unit.
Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 uses one Black+Decker VF110 Dustbuster Replacement Filter, which is rather cheap - it is recommended to replace the filter every 6-9 months, depending on the use.
Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 as the Car Vacuum Cleaner
As the car vacuum cleaner, the Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 is very decent and rather affordable unit:
- with 16 Air Watts and several cleaning attachments, unit can clean most of the debris and messes. However, it doesn't feature motorized pet tool for cleaning deeply embedded dirt, including pet and human hair, lint, fibers and similar,
- unit doesn't feature cigarette lighter adapter charger and it can't be charged in the car. It is possible to use 12V - 110/220V converter and to plug in the unit's charger, but this is not officially supported/recommended by the manufacturer.
- exposure to fire or temperature above 266°F (130°C) may cause explosion of the battery. 266°F (130°C) is really high temperature that can hardly be achieved in the closed car even during the hottest summer days, but exposure to high temperatures can quickly ruin the battery. Also, freezing temperatures can have adverse effects on the battery, which is not replaceable by the user. So, if you want to keep the unit inside your vehicle, Spring and Autumn are recommended seasons.
For Short: Black+Decker HHVI315JO42 is compact, lightweight and easy to use and maintain cordless, handheld vacuum cleaner. It can be used in various situations at home and for vacuuming vehicles, boats, tents etc.
Battery voltage of 10.8 volts is rather low when compared with other vacuums on the market, but with 16 Air Watts, unit is relatively strong and can easily pick various debris. On the other hand, there is no motorized cleaning tool of any kind and cleaning of deeply embedded dirt is limited.
But, with such excellent price, unit is commonly used as second or even third home vacuum.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check BLACK+DECKER HHVI315JO42 Dusbuster Cordless Handheld Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).