Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Lightweight Commercial Canister Vacuum
Hoover CH30000 PortaPower is lightweight, commercial, canister vacuum cleaner. It is bagged and corded vacuum cleaner, suitable for cleaning cars, boats, hotels, workshops and other areas where small, but powerful unit is required to reach and clean surfaces that are not easily accessible.
It is double insulated and very quiet unit that comes with excellent carrying bag, protecting both the vacuum and cleaned area from scratches and scuffs.
Updated: March 21, 2020.
Hoover CH30000 PortaPower is powered with 7.4 Amps motor providing plenty of suction. Unit weighs only 8.3 pounds (~3.76 kg) and can be easily carried around by the handle or using adjustable shoulder strap.
Power cord is 33.5 feet (~10.2 m) long, enabling the unit to clean large area using just one wall power socket - or to reach and clean a car from all sides.
Should one require even longer power cord, extension cords can be used, although they are not recommended by the manufacturer - extension power cord of at least 16 Gauge should be used, preferably thicker, especially if the unit is going to be used for longer period of time.
One of the very important features of Hoover CH30000 PortaPower is that it doubles as air blower, too.
Although the unit is designed for commercial use, it is designed for dry dirt only - any spills or wet dirt should be cleaned by other means.
To prevent the damage due to the clogs in the system, Hoover CH30000 PortaPower comes with automatic thermal switch - when the airflow is decreased through the unit, cooling of the motor is decreased, too. Thus, to prevent motor overheating, thermal switch shuts down - if/when that happens, be sure to check the unit for clogs and check the amount of dirt in the vacuum dirt bag.
After some 30 minutes of cooling down, thermal switch reset itself automatically and the unit can continue with the cleaning.
Note: Hoover PortaPower is simple to use vacuum, but nonetheless, be sure to thoroughly read the manual before first use.
Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Attachments and Parts
In order to clean various dirt from various surfaces, Hoover CH30000 PortaPower vacuum comes with several very useful cleaning attachments.
Cleaning attachments include:
- crevice tool: designed for cleaning tight and narrow spaces, like between or under the seats and other objects, in corners, along the edges and similar. Like other cleaning attachments, crevice tool can be mounted on one of the wands or on the stretch hose,
- dusting brush: designed for cleaning of dust and other fine particles dirt. Dusting brush bristles agitate fine particles which are then removed from the surface and sucked into the vacuum by strong airflow,
- furniture nozzle (upholstery cleaning tool): designed for cleaning furniture, stairs, seats, chairs, sofas and similar objects,
- wall/floor brush: it is larger than furniture nozzle and is designed for cleaning walls and floors (hence the name) and other flat surfaces. Since it is wider than furniture nozzle, it can clean larger area faster,
- rug/floor nozzle: it is the largest cleaning nozzle and with 10 inches (25.4 cm) width, it can clean large area rather fast. However, when cleaning areas with many objects and obstacles and uneven surfaces (like car interior), other cleaning tools are recommended.
Other parts include:
- carrying bag: it features padded adjustable shoulder strap, and it protects furniture, cars and other objects from scuffs and scratches. Carrying bag is designed for both left or right hand operation. Note: it doesn't come by default with the unit, and must be ordered separately.
- shoulder strap: adjustable shoulder strap enables the user to carry the vacuum around almost effortlessly - unit is very light, just one has to pull the power cord around.
- 2 chrome wands: metal wands extend the reach during cleaning and help clean elevated surfaces, too. They are connected to flexible stretch hose on one side and the required cleaning attachments on the other side.
- cord storage strap: power cord is rather long, but Hoover CH30000 PortaPower doesn't come with automatic power cord rewind system. Such system would simplify the use of this unit, but it would also increase complexity and the price. Thus, when the unit is being stored, power cord is fasten to the handle using cord strap.
- flexible hose: it connects canister itself with the cleaning tool or metal wand. It is very flexible and can stretch itself. Note: flexible hose is 'weak point' of this system - first cracks on vacuums with hoses usually appear on the hose itself. Fortunately, unit comes with 2 year warranty and if required, flexible hose can be ordered from various online shops.
Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Vacuum Bags and Air Filter
Hoover CH30000 PortaPower comes with reusable cloth vacuum bag. Since the quality of air filtration depends on the vacuum bag too, it is very important to avoid non-OEM vacuum bags.
As the vacuum bag is filled with the dirt, air flow is decreased - thus it is important to periodically check the amount of dirt in the bag and when required, to empty the dirt bag. It is not recommended to wait for thermal swithc to shut off the motor due to the vacuum bag being full.
Note: CH30000 doesn't feature bag full, or clog or any similar sensor.
Secondary filtration is done using mechanical air filter, which is not removable. When it gets dirty, it can be cleaned using small brush.
One of the important features of Hoover CH30000 PortaPower are optional disposable paper dirt bags. They are cheap and when they get full, they are simply thrown away.
Again, air filtration depends on quality of paper bags, and since they are rather affordable, non-OEM disposable paper dirt bags are not recommended.
Note: cloth bags are more sturdier than paper bags, so they are commonly used for vacuuming sharper objects, which can damage the paper bags easily. However, really sharp objects can damage even cloth bags.
Long Story Short: Hoover CH30000 PortaPower is excellent and very affordable commercial, canister vacuum cleaner. As corded car vacuum cleaner, it does its job very well - protective carrying bag is highly recommended to avoid any accidental damage to the cars, boats, walls, furniture and other objects.
Also, Hoover CH30000 PortaPower is used in hotels, office buildings, hospitals and even homes due to its lightweight design and available cleaning attachments.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Lightweight Commercial Canister Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).