Shark Navigator Zero-M ZU560, ZU561, ZU562 Lift-Away Speed Upright Vacuums
Shark Navigator Zero-M ZU560, ZU561, ZU562 Lift-Away Speed Upright vacuums are corded, bagless upright vacuums with additional cleaning hose and Lift-Away pod.
They are designed to be compact and fast maneuvering vacuums, being able to clean various surfaces, commonly found at home and apartments. The main differences between Zero-M ZU560, ZU561, ZU562 vacuums are in color and available cleaning attachments.
Published: January 24, 2020.
Shark Navigator Zero-M Vacuums Features and Specifications
Shark Navigator Zero-M ZU560, ZU561, ZU562 Lift-Away Speed upright vacuums features several, very important cleaning technologies from Shark, including:
- Speed: unit is relatively lightweight and compact, and in combination with swivel mechanism it is able to easily maneuver around objects and obstacles. Unit dimensions (L x W x H) are 12 x 9.5 x 45.6 inches (30.5 x 24.1 x 116 cm) and it weighs on average 13.4 pounds (~6.1 kg) with power cord and one of the cleaning attachments carried onboard.
- Lift-Away: unit features detachable pod that can be lifted ('Lift-Away', hence the name) from the rest of the unit, allowing the user to vacuum surfaces that are not reachable by most uprights and canisters.
Note: Shark Lift-Away vs Shark Powered Lift-Away technology - some Shark vacuums feature Lift-Away, while some vacuums feature Powered Lift-Away technology. All these models come with powered main nozzle, and the Powered Lift-Away models can use that nozzle even in Lift-Away mode, hence the 'Powered Lift-Away' label. Lift-Away units can't use their powered main cleaning nozzles in Lift-Away mode, lacking 'Powered' part in their labels.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal: whole units are designed to prevent leaking out of vacuumed air and dirt with it. In combination with multilayered air filtration, including HEPA air filter, air is fully filtered before being released back into the vacuumed room.
- Zero-M: Shark Navigator Zero-M vacuums feature so-called Zero-M cleaner head which is designed for improved picking of various types of dirt from different floors, but it is also designed to actively remove entangled human and pet hair and fibers from the brushroll.
Zero-M technology significantly help with hair tangles, but occasionally user has to manually remove some stubborn hair from the motorized brushroll. Cleaner head features transparent cover, allowing the user to see brushroll condition without the need to open cleaner head.
Also, Zero-M cleaner head features signal light, to indicate brushroll condition:
- Solid Green Light: the brushroll is spinning and it is working properly, just as it is supposed to do.
- Solid Red Light: the brushroll is jammed. User has to stop with vacuuming and clean the blockages.
- Flashing Red Light: Zero-M floor nozzle is perhaps spinning, but it is also overheating. User has to turned off the unit, let it cooled down for at least 45 minutes and to check for jams and blockages.
Note: Zero-M cleaner head that comes with ZU560, ZU561 and ZU562 models, doesn't feature LED headlights, which can be rather helpful when vacuuming in low light conditions and for spotting the dirt on bare floors even during the daylight.
Zero-M vs DuoClean: DuoClean cleaner heads feature two different brushrolls which clean the surface at the same time, providing many benefits. However, DuoClean cleaner head doesn't have any pet hair removal system, requiring the user to manually remove entangled hair, fibers, lint and similar debris.
Shark Navigator Zero-M vacuums are generally easy vacuums to use and maintain, but just in case, before the very first vacuuming, read the manual.
Shark Navigator Zero-M vacuums feature 800 watts motors and 25 feet (7.6 m) long power cords, but they don't feature automatic power cord rewind systems.
Cleaning hose is 6.6 (~2 m) long, allowing the user to clean elevated surfaces even without detaching Lift-Away pod.
Dirt bin is transparent, allowing the user to see amount of vacuumed dirt. Its capacity is 2.2 quarts (~2.1 liters) and it is emptied from the bottom. Since the dirt bin is easily emptied without the mess, it is recommended to empty the dirt bin after each (longer) use, especially if the floors were heavily soiled.
Air filtration is based on combination of felt and foam pre-motor filters and high-performance HEPA filter. Note that the manufacturer doesn't state actual HEPA grade of included HEPA filter, at least not last time we checked. Nonetheless, air filtration is very good, which is very important for people with pets, kids, various health issues like asthma and allergies, etc.
All filters are washable using cold water, without the soap or some other cleaning agent. For exact cleaning procedures, check the manual.
After the washing, dry filters for at least 24 hours - never assemble the unit with moist air filters and never use it with moist filters or without the filters.
Shark Navigator Zero-M Controls
Shark Navigator Zero-M controls are conveniently positioned on and just below the handle.
Power switch has three settings:
- '0': Power Off - this setting turns the unit off,
- 'I': Hard Floor - this setting is used for bare floors. This setting turns on the main motor, but the brushroll is not spinning, protecting the sensitive surfaces - this setting is also used on sensitive carpets and some area rugs.
- 'II': Carpet - this setting is used for carpets. Both the main motor is turned on and the brushroll starts to spin when the unit is tilted backwards.
Suction strength control is mechanical and not electronic. Nonetheless, it allows the user to accurately set the required suction, to mach the cleaned surfaces.
Shark Navigator Zero-M ZU560, ZU561, ZU562 Cleaning Attachments
One of the important differences between ZU560, ZU561, ZU562 models are available attachments. By default, here is the list of cleaning attachments that come with these vacuum models:
- ZU560: Duster Crevice Tool, Hair Removal Multi-Tool
- ZU561: Duster Crevice Tool, Hair Removal Multi-Tool, Wide Upholstery Tool
- ZU562: Duster Crevice Tool, Hair Removal Multi-Tool, Pet Power Brush.
For short, all models feature Duster Crevice Tool and Hair Removal Multi-Tool, ZU561 includes Wide Upholstery Tool and ZU562 includes Pet Power Brush.
Duster Crevice Tool
Duster Crevice Tool can be used as dusting brush and as crevice tool.
As dusting brush, it features soft bristles for picking up dust, pollen and other small dirt particles from elevated surfaces.
Crevice tool is designed for cleaning hard to reach and narrow gaps and areas, like edges, corners, between seats and similar.
Duster Crevice Tool comes with all three Shark Navigator Zero-M vacuums, and it is commonly carried onboard the vacuum, although other cleaning tools can be carried instead of Duster Crevice Tool.
Hair Removal Multi-Tool
Hair Removal Multi-Tool is also designed as 2-in-1 tool.
It features rubber bristle brush, which is used for cleaning tough messes and pet and human hair, fibers and similar dirt from carpeted areas.
Upholstery tool is revealed by removing rubber bristles brush. It is used for the same types of dirt, except it is used for cleaning more sensitive surfaces.
Hair Removal Multi-Tool comes with all three Shark Navigator Zero-M vacuums.
Wide Upholstery Tool
Wide Upholstery Tool is very similar to upholstery tool which comes as part of Hair Removal Multi-Tool, except that it is wider, allowing the user to clean larger area faster.
When vacuuming sensitive areas with Wide Upholstery Tool or upholstery tool, consider lowering the suction.
Wide Upholstery Tool comes only with ZU561 model.
Pet Power Brush
Pet Power Brush features small motorized brushroll, allowing the user to clean large areas without much effort.
Pet Power Brush is not maintenance free tool and from time to time, user has to clean brushroll from entangled pet and human hair.
For really stubborn dirt, Rubber Bristles Brush has 'stronger bite' than Pet Power Brush. However, Pet Power Brush has 'stronger bite' than upholstery tool and/or Wide Upholstery Tool.
Nonetheless, when cleaning delicate and sensitive surfaces with Pet Power Brush, consider testing the Pet Power Brush on small area first.
Pet Power Brush comes only with ZU562 model.
Under-Appliance Wand is long (~36 inches), narrow and adjustable cleaning tool, designed for cleaning areas under furniture and various appliances (hence the name).
For people that are very thorough in cleaning their homes, Under-Appliance Wand is very important cleaning tool, although it is not used every time.
Under-Appliance Wand doesn't come with any Shark Zero-M vacuum, but if required, it can be like all other cleaning tools, ordered separately.
Shark Navigator Zero-M vacuums come with 5-year limited warranty.
For Short: Shark Navigator Zero-M vacuums are compact, strong and versatile upright vacuums, featuring several important cleaning technologies from Shark.
They come with 5-year limited warranty and at acceptable price. If you are looking for upright vacuum to be used as the main vacuum cleaner at home or apartment, consider one of these models.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check Shark ZU561 Navigator Zero-M Upright Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).